DIY Fall Decor
I can’t believe it’s officially fall! Does anyone else feel like we just started 2018 a few months ago? This year has flown by so fast!
Fall is hands down my favorite season to decorate for. There’s just something about the warm, cozy colors and the cinnamon scented candles – it just puts me in my happy place. Since fall officially started last weekend, it was time to break out the fall decor. This is only the second fall season we’ve spent in our current home, so I’m still in the process of building up our seasonal decor stash. I had a few rooms that were just missing something here and there, but could never find the right pieces to complete them. So this week, I decided to make my own, and these DIYs were just too simple not to share with you!
1. WOOD SLICE CHALKBOARD
We skipped porch decor last year because we were still cleaning up from Hurricane Irma. This year, I couldn’t wait to decorate it! I started with these lanterns I got from Pier One last year and added some fall stems I’ve collected over the years. But something was still missing. This wood chalkboard was the perfect finishing touch, and was so easy to make.
What You’ll Need:
- Wood slice – I got mine from Michaels, but it isn’t available online. Here’s a similar option from Amazon.
- Chalkboard paint – You can find chalkboard paint at any craft store, just make sure it can be used on wood
- Leaves (optional) – I cut a leaf from a fall stem I already had.
Start by painting your wood slice with chalk paint (following the recommended drying time for the paint in between coats), then write your message! I decided to add a leaf and attached it with hot glue. If you want to make this super budget friendly, I recently saw some pumpkin and leaf-shaped wood plaques at the target dollar spot that would make awesome chalkboards!
2. FALL MASON JARS
The sideboard in my dining room was missing something in the center. I knew I wanted to do something with mason jars, but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. So, when you can’t find it, make it! These would go perfectly in so many different places and I’m actually considering making a second set.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 16 oz. mason jars – I picked mine up at Dollar Tree, but I’ve linked a great option from Amazon if your dollar store doesn’t carry them.
- 3 in. burlap ribbon – I scored this at the dollar store, too. But here’s a link to an option from Amazon that looks like it’s much higher quality than what I used.
- Black fabric paint
- Stencils – I used these stencils from Martha Stewart, but there are also other fonts available.
Start by cutting the ribbon to a length that will fit around the jar with about half an inch of overlap. Next, put a piece of paper underneath the ribbon so your paint won’t bleed through, then stencil the letter on top. While the paint is drying, wrap a string of twine around the neck of the mason jar two times, then tie with a bow. Wrap your ribbon around the jar, overlapping the ribbon in the back, then hot glue the ribbon closed. If you want to take this project up a notch, place a tea light inside the jar, or paint them with chalk paint.
3. FRAMED SEASONAL PRINTABLE
This one couldn’t be any easier. I like to decorate with pictures and have at least one frame in every room. Chances are, you probably have one on display somewhere, too. Just print out your favorite quote or picture, then pop it in! It’s so easy, and you can change it out for every season.
What You’ll Need:
- Frame – mine is from Home Goods
- Free Printable – this post from Gen Y Girl has 10 free printables for fall. You can also find a ton of free options by searching Pinterest.
Really, could these be any easier? Grab the kiddos and get to work! What are you favorite DIY projects for Fall?
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.